Sunday, February 05, 2006

Aung-thwin's ad hominem attack
on Aung San Suu Kyi

This was his first and most famous ad hominem attack.

It raises the question of whether these attacks are really just lame attempts at PR, pitiful attempts of a second rate intellectual at getting himself in the limelight, trying to jumpstart a career as a public intellectual:

"She had an aristcratic air about her," he said. "She always thought of herself as part of the Burmese aristocracy, and that she had a right to Burma's throne because of her father...She was charming, intelligent, but very stubborn, very authoritarian. She was in favor of overthrowing the military, but she was personally authoritarian herself. Once, I remember her her saying,'It is my destiny to rule Burma.' I said,' You should have a relatively easy time because of your father's name.' She bristled. 'I will do this myself," she said. 'It won't have anything to do with my father.' 'Then why do you use your father's name?' I asked. But she just repeated, 'I will do it myself.'" (From The Lady Triumph, Vanity Fair, October 1995, Source)

1 Comments:

Blogger Avery said...

This should be read in the context that Aung-Thwin distorts the stories of private conversations he has, as you explain elsewhere on your blog

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home